Updated: April 7, 2017
The transition is now underway for the Corps of Cadets to move from three minors — Minor in Leadership Studies Military Track (LDMI), Minor in Leadership Studies Military and Civic-Professions Track (LDRP), and Minor in Leadership Studies Civic-Professions Track (LDRC) — to one minor, the Leadership Minor Corps of Cadets (LMCC). The checksheets for all four minors can be found at the University Registrar’s website.
Highlights of the New Leadership Minor
Following is a brief overview. Interested parties need to review the official checksheet for all information regarding the requirements of this minor.
1. A minimum of 22 credit hours consisting of:
Sixteen credit hours that include:
- Satisfactory completion of the appropriate Corps Lab for a minimum of six semesters (transfer cadets must complete at least five semesters)
- The remaining credits must be earned by satisfactory completion of either the appropriate ROTC course (for commissioning cadets) or Pro Lab (for non-commissioning cadets)
Six credit hours must include:
- Satisfactory completion of MGT 3304 (Management Theory and Leadership Practice)
- Satisfactory completion of PHIL 2304 (Global Ethics)
2. Leadership Progression
- Satisfactory completion of either three qualifying Corps leadership positions or two qualifying Corps leadership positions and one qualifying ROTC leadership position
- A cadet must pass at least two ROTC or Corps Physical Fitness Tests (PFT) (or alternate test in case of physical disability) during his/her cadet career with at least one of those passing scores being earned during the senior year in the Corps.
Academic minors involve the year a cadet is graduating from Virginia Tech, not the Corps. So a cadet who is a member of the Corps' Class of 2017 but who is graduating from Virginia Tech in 2018 is considered “Class of 2018” where the minor is concerned.