By Sandi R. Bliss, chief advancement officer
With a record number of cadets, your investment in the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets is more important than ever! However you chose to give to the Corps, we are grateful for your partnership and would be honored to assist you.
Ways to Give
Endowments are an enduring investment in the future of the Corps. They provide a dependable, perpetual source of funding. Endowed gifts are invested and each year a percentage of the return is made available to the university to support critical Corps initiatives. The distribution amount is approved by the Virginia Tech Foundation board each year. Endowments can be created with a minimum gift of $100,000.
Annual gifts of any amount can make an immediate impact. They can be made one time or arranged to be made on a convenient, recurring basis. Gifts to the Commandant’s Priority Fund of $500 or greater automatically sponsor a first-year cadet on the fall or spring Caldwell March.
- Give online at givingto.vt.edu/vtcc
- Text to give to 41444 and reply VTCC
You can also support the Corps in many other ways by donating:
- Securities such as stocks, bonds, and mutual funds
- Real estate, including both present and future interests
- Gifts-in-kind of tangible property, such as works of art or historic memorabilia
In Memory / In Honor
Scholarships, endowed positions, Corps facilities, or programs may be named after special individuals. Gifts may be made to honor a loved one or someone who inspires you.
Employer Matching Gifts
- Many Corps donors are employed by companies that encourage donations to higher education. Donors who wish to support the Corps often can provide more substantial support with the assistance of a matching company gift. Before making your gift, please check to see if your company provides a matching contribution. Our web page at givingto.vt.edu/match can help you find out.
Gift Planning Options
If you are 70 1/2 or older, consider using a charitable IRA rollover to make a gift that can count toward your required minimum distribution without it being taxed as income. There are many additional options for leaving a powerful, wisely arranged legacy through planned gifts to the Corps.
Are you looking for a way to pass on some of your assets to your family while reducing or eliminating gift or estate taxes? Are you interested in a fixed income and avoidance of capital gains taxes? We encourage you to reach out to find out your options.
Some of these are:
- Designating the Corps of Cadets as the beneficiary of a will, trust, retirement plan, or life insurance policy
- Utilizing a gift model such as a charitable gift annuity, charitable remainder annuity trust, charitable remainder unitrust, charitable lead trust, or IRA rollover
Other Ways to Stay Involved
- Become a Class Champion
- Help create a cadet internship opportunity
- Host an alumni event at your home or business
- Keep your contact information current